Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Bigotry Part Deux: Are You Muslim?


(Image attribution unknown, source Wired)

The Cynical Nymph sent this to me this morning and it just takes my breath away. (And not in the good way)

"A city cab driver is in the hospital after being stabbed by a passenger who allegedly asked if he was Muslim, police tell NY1.
Investigators with the New York City Police Department say it all began Monday night when a 21-year-old man hailed a cab at 24th Street and Second Avenue in Manhattan.
Police say the passenger asked the driver, "Are you Muslim?" When the driver said yes the passenger pulled a knife and slashed him in the throat, arm and lip.
The 43-year-old driver was able to lock the passenger in the back of the cab and call 911.
Both the driver and the passenger were taken to Bellevue Hospital."


The NY Times had this quote from the driver:

“I feel very sad,” Mr. Sharif said in a statement released by the taxi workers alliance. “ I have been here more than 25 years. I have been driving a taxi more than 15 years. All my four kids were born here. I never feel this hopeless and insecure before.” He added that “right now, the public sentiment is very serious” because of the so-called “ground zero mosque.”

I simply cannot imagine that this gets to be the newest fear out there.

Again, shades of early Nazi Germany in the minds of some disturbed people.

Are you Jewish? Are you Muslim?


How about I am Human?



© Bright Nepenthe, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment