Monday, March 8, 2010

Someone new for me to forget....

I'm still savoring the fact that Kathryn Bigelow is someone I want to remember but, of course, the world keeps spinning, as does my American head.


I have spent about an hour since lunchtime, wasting perfectly good reading time, on Glenn Beck. Has anyone else listened to his Fox News radio and television shows on which, evidently last week, he urged Christians attending churches that advocate social justice to abandon their church? According to Politics Daily, Beck is quoted as saying:

"I'm begging you, your right to religion and freedom to exercise religion and read all of the passages of the Bible as you want to read them and as your church wants to preach them . . . are going to come under the ropes in the next year. If it lasts that long it will be the next year. I beg you, look for the words 'social justice' or 'economic justice' on your church Web site. If you find it, run as fast as you can. Social justice and economic justice, they are code words. Now, am I advising people to leave their church? Yes!"  


You can hear the audio portion of this rather interesting rant. Beck equates social and economic justice with communism and fascism. Beck also said he was going to show his viewers "history that they had never seen before". I really think he's not kidding, although calling it history might be on the generous side of things.






While I was decrying faux-niceness just the other day, I'm thinking genuine venom is not much better. I guess I'd think we have a chance to do something about it, except that I've squandered most of my hope for change I can believe in on the Obama administration. Oh well...


If anyone sees Snow White, can you ask her if she has any more apples?

No comments:

Post a Comment