Thursday, July 15, 2010

Palate Cleanser #64 Vulpine Style, Part Deux

Zee foxes, zey are in the ether.... Look what NatGeo had as Picture of the Day, Michael, Jen and CN!!!







JULY 15, 2010

Red Foxes, Connecticut

Photograph by Kevin LeShane, Your Shot
This Month in Photo of the Day: Animals
Recently, a red fox has been hunting in the marsh behind my condo on the Connecticut shoreline. I've seen her during the early morning hours when I walk my dog and on my way to work. I thought it strange to see a traditionally circumspect creature in such a public venue. These two are the explanation, it turns out. She and her two kits (featured here) have a den within the boulders of the seawall by the town docks. Every day they become more curious of their enraptured audience, us.



© PC concept, text above photo, Bright Nepenthe, 2010

5 comments:

  1. Connecticut!? I wonder if I can catch one... >:D

    Hm. No, Tarot wouldn't like that. He likes being the most mysterious thing in the apartment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the only fond memories I have of living in a place I hated was seeing a fox family crossing an otherwise-deserted road in front of us late one night. We pulled over and stopped to watch them as they traversed a field under the moonlight... and we held our breaths until we could no longer see them, so as not to disturb this exquisite vision.

    It was like an unexpected gift. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely fuzzy foxies!

    It's a little funny to me that the photographer is so surprised to find them near human habitations; that's what happens when animals run out of traditional habitats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually had a fox that lived in the neighborhood of my just recently former home. She would show up at dusk. They are still fairly common in our area of Miami. I can't imagine how difficult the life of a fox in a city of such population density could be... Cars, stray dogs, poisoned rodents... there are so many threats. :(

    Lovely recollection, Glam...

    ReplyDelete
  5. My neighbors hate me, but in the winter, when food is so scarce, I put out stuff for the foxes and possums. There is one particular fox- she has a atrophied leg (natural-I remember her when she was a cub), and she has been coming behind my house for a couple of years now.

    ReplyDelete